Holiday rentals - report suspicious or fraudulent transactions!

We invite you to share your own experiences with us here in this blog so that others may be able to read them and be warned.

Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Nigerian Letter/Email scam

I just wanted to let you know that I think I have been a potential victim of the Nigerian Letter Scam. I have checked on the Internet and it appears to be an old fraud that is now been applied to people who are selling something on the Internet. I wanted to let you know, so that you can warn other people who advertise on your site in case they fall victim.

My story is that on the 18th of October I had an enquiry through one of my websites from someone called chiko from chikotradings@yahoo.com, saying he was from South Africa and wanted to rent my studio for 2 people from the 1st – 30th November, and to please give me the price. This I did. He said that he wanted to book and to please send my name, address and telephone number and he would organise his PA to forward me a cheque. My first alert, was that I have been to South Africa and I know that it is spring/summer at this time of year, so why come to a sleepy village in France in the winter. On the 26th I emailed him again, saying I had not received anything, so please confirm that he was coming and what was his flight details. He said that he was still coming, but maybe not on the 1st November, but maybe the 10th, but not to worry as I would still receive the full amount for the month’s rental. The 1st and the 10th of November passed and nobody and nothing arrived so at this point I put it down to some sort of joke. Two days ago (19th November) he emailed again to say (I quote – now in bad english) "How are you doing today? So I just want you to let me know as soon as you have received the cheque today, tomorrow or Monday morning. So also my client just made know to me that he sent a cheque of (Euro 4,500) so please you are to get the cheque cashed immediately in a post office near you or at your bank, so you are to remove your money and have the rest of the money send through Western Union money transfer to my PA whose name and address info is as follows below: Mr. Adebayo David 42 Allen Avenue Ikeja, Lagos 23401 Nigeria. So also I will want you to deduct the sum of Euro50 for yourself for the transportation to the Western Union office where you are going to send the money OK. So I think this is very clear to you and I will want you to please get back to me as soon as possible concerning these. Thanks and have a nice day also my greetings to your family. Chiko" When I had received this, I was surprised. I still thought some stupid joke, and very strange, but I would wait to see if anything arrived before I would respond. If it was a joke, then by responding would only add fuel to the fire of stupity . Yesterday, 20th November, I received just a Bank cheque (no letter) from Wales, in a Woolworths envelope, drawn on Allied Irish Banks plc for Euro 4500. I have since spoken with a number of friends on the subject and also checked on the Internet and have found that this is fraud. Where the fraudsters get you is that when you receive the cheque it is a Bank Cheque (which normally guarantees payment), you place your cheque into the bank, which initially clears, and once this has happens, you then send the balance as requested (then thinking that as the email enquiries are written in bad English, maybe the enquirer is not very clever). I have since discovered that your bank has 10 days to bounce the cheque, which normally happens after you have sent the balance of the money back. Net result – you lose out. Please have a look at http://www.crimes-of-persuasion.com/ for reporting procedures. I am very happy for you to forward this email and my details to your other advertisers, as I think it is important to inform other people quickly before they fall into the same trap. Also if anyone wants to ask me any questions, I am happy to try and help.

Regards Cathy Holmes

Rental Properties: http://www.search-villas.com/list-rentals.asp?uid=185&site=2

7 Comments:

  • At 8:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Great blog. Found your blog while searching for more information at yahoo about Nigerian Letter/Email scam. Your blog has quite a lot of interesting thoughts. Keep up the good work, Admin.

    Cheers,
    bali vacation

     
  • At 7:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Admin, sometimes I wish that life was so simple and that when looking for cheap airport parking I actually did find exactly that. Having said that although your Nigerian Letter/Email scam was really not quite what I was looking for it somehow I found that it grabbed my attention and I surprised myself by reading it with interest. So all said and done I'm glad that I did stop by your blog. Keep Blogging!

     
  • At 2:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Admin, you have a great blog here. Nigerian Letter/Email scam caught my eye and I thought I would put a post on it. I'm looking for help.

    The site I have is a advertise from home uk work site. Its all about, need I say it, working from home. I think people should have the choice to build their own income instead of somebody else’s. Freedom of well being and all of that...anyway I was on your site looking for ways to help my business. I'm really looking for ways of building better rapport between recruits.

    Anyways Admin thanks for the great blog. I'll just have to carry on my search till I find what I'm looking for. Take care.

     
  • At 3:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Admin, Take a Break. Look forward to a vacation home rental Go visit http://www.thenextbigthingonline.com/holiday. Cheers

     
  • At 2:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Admin, nice site. I was doing a search on Checking Accounts and your post came up in the results. Not exactly what I was looking for onChecking Accounts, but somewhat interesting. I have bookmarked this site for another day. Cheers...

     
  • At 9:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Admin, your Nigerian Letter/Email scam is very interesting. I was looking over the net for mexico vacation information and if you are keen on getting some mexico vacation information. Go to http://www.thenextbigthingonline.com/holiday. Cheers

     
  • At 2:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Looking for a fishing vacation Go to http://www.thenextbigthingonline.com/holiday. Cheers

     

Post a Comment

<< Home